14 October 2010

Milo's first PB & J!


I'm not kidding. That is how picky my Milo is. You all remember that we are on a quest to improve his iron absorption, and.... the doctors will tell me (in desperation) - "give him a sugary cereal that is iron-fortified" (and a lot of them are, btw), but... my Milo doesn't like Fruit Loops or Honey Nut Cheerios - or any other sugary sweet crap that other kids just scarf up. I mean... potatoes are a semi iron-rich food, and he doesn't even like french fries. He doesn't like pizza, mashed potatoes, pasta, bagels, hot dogs, cheeseburgers - all the other greasy, yukky / yummy stuff on which other kids subsist. He is not entirely without nutrition - happens to be a granola, whole grain, fruit, juice, yogurt and milk lover, but.... he does NOT like new things (recently tried ham because they mention it in his new favorite move, Ponyo, but... gobbled it up for a few days then abandoned it again... go figure...). Anyway, here is something for those of you with picky eaters. Oh - and here. And here. And... oh I could go on all day, having spent a good deal of my own time researching this. BUT -today - is a banner day! He tried SOMETHING NEW - other more nutritious stuff may follow :-). Holding my breath....

I would like to note here that... I DO think this is a direct result of Milo eating lunch at school with his friends. He observes what others eat, and he wants to try them. I know they share a bit. I remember when my Olivia was in daycare - they would have the kids sit at a table together and eat family style (when she got to be about 4 or so - when they are able to pass plates, etc.). Doing so caused my picky Olivia to expand her food interests and her palate, and she began to want to dip bread in olive oil or revisit peas and corn - taste different meats and cheeses or pair rice, potatoes, other veggies with her "regular" meals. I think the family dinner table is good for this too (see my blog list - Dinner: A Love Story - thanks AB and friends for that - and a number of my other recipe / mom blogs). I think eating well and exercising are so important - particularly as kids get into sports and as we all begin to age (and I don't mean "become elderly" - I mean move from our 20s to our 30s to our 40s, etc.). Anyway.... I am officially OFF the soap box. Anyone have a story / advice to share?

Speaking of food (and you all know how I do), here is a yummy place - currently Pittsburgh's number 1 brunch (though they do dinner too). Try it; I'm going to.

4 comments:

Chris P. said...

You are not alone! Ian didn't touch a hamburger until he was 8 and to this day won't eat a hot dog (not that I'm complaining!) He lived on plain pasta - no butter - with romano cheese (had to be from the Strip), brown rice, and fortunately a pretty decent array of veggies and fruits for years. Also his PBJ foray were just PB on whole wheat - and it had to be toasted. Oh, and yogurt, lots and lots of yogurt because he didn't drink milk. It was rough but it certainly didn't stunt his growth!

Joely said...

I think I am gonna try that place for brunch. Sounds great.
And congrats on the picky eater eating something new!

Anonymous said...

Yes, congrats on a new food for Milo! That's exciting. One of my secret fears is that I will have picky eaters one day . . . I rarely cook the same thing twice, so if my kids aren't as adventurous as I am, I'm not sure what will happen! =) I'm glad school helps with that problem. Good to know.

AngryBaker said...

I'm still waiting for the magic fix for my picky eater. What his friends eat doesn't seem to affect him. Oh well, he'll live.

So I'll just invite myself along for brunch anytime. I still need to have breakfast over at Deluca's.