17 March 2010

Everybody is Irish today!


So ... have fun!

Spring-like activity planned for the day: a cookout for dinner (NO green burgers - maybe just the salad will be green OR a green-tinted bevie)

Favorite St. Patty's Day memory: Olivia went to an all-girls school in Ohio called Our Lady of the Elms. They made leprechaun traps there (she may have been in first grade ??)- lured the little fellas with some sort of green pudding. It worked so well (they caught one who left green dust behind) that she asked for the trap - took it home - kept it for years. The first year we were in our house here in Pittsburgh, we brought that sucker out again - I mean, this was a new house (to us, that is - it's really over 100 years old); we didn't know if there would be a leprechaun or not lurking about, so... we set it, and sure enough - the next day - it worked! We told her we caught one - and... as she went to check the trap for green dust or whatever, Marcello yelled, "look out, here he comes". I can still picture her in school uniform - all set for school, running out of the kitchen from the wild, just set free leprechaun. You think that's bad? The leprechaun across the street left their kitchen littered with beer caps ;-).

Get out - get moving!! Warm now, but I hear snow flurries are in store for Sunday...

Photo: This is actually last year... but I liked the huggy pic so much.... Milo did a leprechaun hat this year (again, watched Enzo make his holiday hats, etc. for years - Now, as big preschooler this year - he gets to himself!). Enzo and Olivia wore green to school today - Milo will do gymnastics today (but, alas, he is not feelin' the green today) plus maybe we'll make some frozen juice pops (he asked yesterday :-) so must oblige - maybe we can sneak in some green kiwi slices) - and.. well... Lil looks like a leprechaun, so... we're set!

5 comments:

Joely said...

This italian girl has never embraced St Patty's day but I do love dressing the kidos up in green. Nice not to wear the blue plaid. Like the pic. They are too cute.

Shannon W. said...

I agree it was fun seeing the kids in green at school today. Worth the after dinner K-mart run (I hate that store) to get a green shirt that fit.
- Shannon W.(Sophie's mom from StB's K)

Sherri said...

I'm actually Italian with a wee bit Irish, so... I do embrace the Irish a bit... can't help myself .... Marcello and I both secretly want to be Irish or Scottish - often toy with the idea of having an Irish brogue weekend ;-). And - yeah - who woulda thought - I had to DIG for a green shirt too (thankfully, no KMart run for me last night - though have had many last minute "I need a gift for my buddy" runs there - 8th graders, apparently, have no memory).

Sherri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherri said...

OK - somehow - I left my response comment twice... Hmmmm... will delete one so I don't look too frazzled and psychotic ;-).