30 March 2010

Dragons and other fun stuff ...


Random bits of sharing today. Enzo has a "buddy" egg hunt at school this morning - Milo will be bringing home his expertly woven Easter basket from preschool ;-) - I had a fun shopping outing with the girls yesterday, me, Olivia and Lil - today, we're allowing Olivia a vacation day of sorts (after all, she did make HIGH Honor roll this semester :-), maybe get her nails done, go out for a decadent frozen coffee drink or ice cream, pack for our grand hotel excursion (kinda getting close to sticking a pin in a map here to choose destination :-) - and... I've been playing "elephants" and "horsies" with Lil lately (actually, I'm not included in the play when one little orange horsey and a pink monkey play together, but... otherwise... I'm in :-).

Still organizing (sending photos out to family, etc.) - still dying to try a recipe I saw on a BBC America show, "Gordon Ramsay's F Word" (that would be "food") for a poached chicken then pan sauteed in a morel mushroom sauce - still finding new household projects to handle daily (latest, a five foot long scribble of brown crayon on a prominent dining room wall that needs to be... um ... erased).

Family rundown this holiday season - my brother, Don, his girlfriend and her young son are going to do some spring skiing in Colorado this Easter - my Mom has plans for lunch out with my brother, David, and his family on the holiday (we have a gift going to his son, Rhys Evan, who will turn one in a few weeks) - we may visit Tio Manuel in DC later this week - saw Matt and Chiara and their kids this weekend (may see them on the holiday too along with Clara). We are planning our day trip adventure but will definitely be back on Saturday to hide eggs, fill baskets with candy, and... I usually add a little spring gift (this year a Kate Spade wallet for the big girl - and.... goggles and other swim gear for little ones - GOTTA learn to swim this season - I insist). We'll do the church egg hunt and then.... do something easy for an Easter buffet for friends, family and whoever wants to stop by - probably hit Whole Foods for some fun and tasty treats.

Thoughts and prayers to the people suffering loss in Moscow due to the subway bombing - as well as to others in the world feeling pain. Saw a tragic story this morning about a high school girl being bullied. Worth a read, and... worth thinking about a little in order to stay vigilant and avoid such tragedies in our lives, neighborhoods, schools....

Can recommend How to Train your Dragon to families looking for a holiday movie this week. Saw it and did enjoy it - though the 3D thing freaks me out a little - my peripheral vision gets weird (seemed to be the consensus with others I was with - and... the little ones sometimes won't wear the glasses - BUT.... I do like dragons - have dragon earrings - used to be fascinated by how cartographers in the middle ages would write "Here Be Dragons" over sections of the map about which they knew nothing... but I digress... as usual).

Can ALSO recommend these cool salt water sandals from Olive Juice. Getting a pair for Lil - had a pair myself as a kid - one of my favorite shoes of all time (remember like LOVING certain things you wore as a kid - like purple Toughskin jeans - a Scooby Doo t-shirt... well these were some of my favorite summer shoes - when I wore shoes, that is - could never find a pair for Olivia, but... Olivie Juice does such retro feel clothes - not surprised I found them there). Cute. Worth a look among other adorable kid clothes there.

Photo: My lovelies last year at this time.

4 comments:

Joely said...

I like the idea of earning a day off for the high honor roll. That is a really great thing to do with your daughter. And thanks for the movie roccomendation, it is hard to guage what everyone will like or not and if I will hate it. Have a great Easter Break

Jen C. said...

LOVE Olive Juice...... our first choice for first day of school dresses and old school shoes. I always buy those sandals and this was the first year that both said no.... they thought that they were too "baby-ish". Sigh..... they'll still sport the Asters T-stap though!!

Kim said...

I'm still snickering about the orange horsey and pink monkey playing together. I used to think I could write some really good children's stories by just recording some of the conversations I had with my kids when they were 2. Maybe this is where the inspiration for the Dragon movie came from? Re: ancient cartographers...is that why our world map has dragons swimming in the oceans? Brennan thinks they really exist...you never know...

Sherri said...

It's been a while since we had "high" honor roll going on, so....:-).... And - have to say, Kim - after I read the monkey and horsey thing that I, myself, wrote... I, too, snickered and... was mildly creeped out by it. Hmmm...Maybe because they're orange and pink....;-). And... dreading the day, Jen, when my days of picking out girl clothes are gone. I experienced it with Olivia then.... got my reprieve with Lilliana... and love that t-strap, and the spectator shoes.... don't get me started :-).