04 December 2009

Remnants of the past.... and a few cheery tips....


OK - so I'm sulking again. I think I've ranted on this before, but..... I have incredibly fond memories of antiquing with my parents. I know it sounds silly, but I grew up with a lot of antiques and heirloom stuff around (not a lot - but my Mom is good with great finds - regal, not trashy - have history but remain useful too - great armoires, benches, shaving chests, quilts, etc. - her house is pristine, but I digress AGAIN...). Also, my Dad is gone now, and I cherish some of the things he gave me - bought for my daughter - left behind. I mean, it even makes me sad that my wild ones have managed to break a cheap little water game that he bought for Olivia and they played together. Anyway....... Milo and Lil like to play with my antique (but not expensive) silver coffeepot with creamer and pitcher. It's sturdy, so... I let them. Today, however, they broke the coffeepot and the creamer - like snapped the metal in half on both. I do get frustrated.... all my little demi tasses, smoked glass retro '60's glasses, etc. - broken - gone forever. And... it's not just the items - it's the memory I had attached. I would pick up a glass -think of that day with my parents (no fights with my mom - my dad healthy and happy)..... Now, I sit here, trying to bang this out in 5 min. - I have some other quick work to do - but they have both heaped like a cookie monster flashlight, two cookie cutters, a ripped up post-it pad, diapers, baby wipes, etc. on my lap in the last few min. How do I think straight at all?!?!

One last bitch moment.... I'm having trouble with my blog template too - can't get "undefined" fields to disappear - links don't work, etc. Ugh - I think I need coffee....

On a bright note - 'tis the season, so... go out and get your Williams Sonoma Peppermint hot chocolate. This is a seasonal favorite for me and my Olivia (since she was little). Expensive - but no others out there like it (if so - I'd like to hear about them!!). And... Fantastic Mr. Fox supposedly great movie. My hubby took my boys to see it.... raved... so have other adults and kids.... Oh - and I would provide links to all this, but.... well - you know (see above "bitch moment").

Happy, happy, everyone :-). I'm still thankful for what I have... I suppose we all should be...

No comments: