03 November 2009

Quick follow up

Thanks fellow feminists and women who care to discuss with other women... :-)...

I think we all sort of said it all.... We should just be a bit more tolerant of one another. Who is to judge who is fat, who is chesty, who is "slutty", who is sloppy....??? Does personal expression and - yeah - something as simple as comfort (thought it is not that simple, right? It is important to feel comfortable - confident - whatever) - go out the window because we want others to view us as more chaste, more fashionable, more "together" - and beyond that, smarter... more interesting..... just because of our body type and / or what we wear - ????? I mean... currently ... because of this type of thinking.... I often wonder if I'm not included in other "Mom lunches" or play outings (sometimes, I'm just not approached at all despite showing great interest) because I let my straight hair hang, wear little to no make-up and suit up in baggy clothes (so used to nursing, not fitting in old clothes) - while other moms dress up for school pick-up, always have the latest bag, get their hair cut and dyed often.... Hmmm....

I'm encouraged that all the comments I got via blog, email, Facebook - whatever - were all sensitive and, though, varied in perspective - concerned that other women were entitled to some individuality. Discouraging, of course, are the stories of judgement and disdain from our supposed gentle gender ;-). Read below .... discuss further.....

No comments: